Labels

Tuesday 10 June 2014

Reviewsday Tuesday: The Fault in Our Stars.

(No spoilers today guys, at least, I don't think so)

In honour of the movie coming out last week, The Fault in Our Stars is getting reviewed.

The movie is also BRILLIANT! I LOVED IT GO WATCH IT! BRING TISSUES!

Anyway...

If you're new here, you may not know, the Green brothers are amazing. Don't try to argue with me. You will lose.

Anyway. I read this book at the end of January (I think) because it had been on my to-read list for a while and I finally got up to it. (The list isn't getting much shorter though, no matter how much I read.)

At first, I was sceptical to read this book. I'm more a humor, action, mystery, romance or fantasy kind of gal. And I had heard that this book was sad, so I was umming and ahhing a bit before I read it. It is a sad book, I won't deny that. But it's also a beautiful piece of literature. John Green is an amazing writer on top of being an awesome human being. Anyway, back to the book.

As Shailene Woodley (who plays Hazel in the movie) once said; "It's the story about kids with cancer, but it's not about cancer." That sums up the book so well, it's weird. The Fault in Our Stars is the story of Hazel and Gus, two normal teenagers. Well, not entirely normal. Hazel is forced by her parents to go to a support group for teens with cancer, and one day, a boy shows up, he's being emotional support for another boy at the support group. Enter Augustus Waters.

They fall in love, yada yada. The end. Right? WRONG!

Well I'm getting into spoilers now. So for anyone who hasn't read it, read it and come back. If you've read it, read on. Or If you haven'y read it, avoid the paragraph and continue on to the end.


SPOILERS AHEAD!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! LITERALLY WITHIN THE FIRST FEW WORDS!!! DON'T BE TEMPTED!!!














Okay, I think it's safe.

Gus's death. It's sad, but beautiful. And, I may have angry fangirls, but it wasn't what upset me the most. People die all the time. Wow, I sound heartless. But what upset me more was seeing him deteriorate as he became worse and worse. That was the hardest part about reading it for me. And the pre-funeral. Issac's speech. How can someone not feel something during that.
Now for the people avoiding spoilers.
















Overall, This book is amazing. It's high up on my favourite books list. The movie is also beautiful.

Happy Reviewsday Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. Just started reading your blog and I love it! :D I saw your Blogger profile, your taste in books is impeccable! :P Or maybe that's just me being biased... I'm going to sound heartless for saying this, but I didn't cry reading TFIOS :l I just felt really unbearable sad. Urgghh, feelings, where did you go?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thank you for reading and commenting. It means a lot to me. I didn't cry during TFiOS either. :/ Althogh I don't cry much. If you have any book recommendations, I'd love to hear them. :) Thanks again for reading. I hope you comment on a post again. ;)

      P.S. There will be a new post soon. I've been a bit slack with the musical. :P

      Delete

Stay Amazing. :)