Labels

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Reviewsday Tuesday: This Star Won't Go Out.

HELLO REVIEWSDAY TUESDAY!

The first thing I thought of was "The Start Of Something New" from High School Musical. Yeah...

Anyway. The first book I want to review is This Star Won't Go Out. I usually don't like non-fiction books, but I made an exception for this.

For anyone who doesn't know about this book. It is the story of Esther Earl, an awesome nerdfighter that sadly passed away in 2010. She had just turned 16.

John missed the silly face memo...
Now don't think that this is a depressing cancer story and it's just a bunch of people writing about how much they miss her, because it's nothing like that. The book is her life. It's a collection of diary entries, blog posts, video transcripts even forum chats. Sure, there's parts written by her doctors, family and friends and they can be a little sad. But the overall feeling of this book is that she was awesome. In every way possible. And I really wished that I knew her. Which makes me think, why? Why did such an amazing person that had so much potential and such life...why?

But I don't want to dwell on the sad side of her amazing story.

This books captures the true essence of Esther, through her writing, through the impact she had on others, through the legacy that she created. This book inspired me to be a better person, to become more active in my community and to make my mark on the world. It taught me not to take things for granted and to live each moment to its fullest.

I can't speak high enough of this book. It's simply awe-inspiring.

Happy Reviewsday Tuesday.

Links:

Buy the book on amazon here
Learn more about the This Star Won't Go Out Foundation here

Esther Day:
Esther day is celebrated on the 3rd of August. It began in 2010 just before Esther passed away. The idea was created by John Green and Esther. John told Esther that every year, on her birthday, he would do whatever she wanted. expecting that she would choose something crazy, he was surprised, but then again, not, when she replied with 'Love". And not the romantic kind, that gets enough attention already. Esther wanted us to celebrate by telling the people we love naturally, our family, close friends or just people that you just don't say 'I love you' to, that you do. So on August 3rd, 2010, John told Hank that he loved him. The following year, Hank said it back. Esther day is a time to tell the people you love unconditionally, that you love them. Just a little info. The videos explain it better...

Esther Day Videos
2010
2011
2012
2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay Amazing. :)